Friday, February 22, 2008

The Sartorialist

I adore The Sartorialist !

Long ago I, too, wore the uniform for Washingonian men. Well, maybe I pushed it a little, since I had a thing for Polo suits and mixing patterns. But I did wear a tie every day. I wore that uniform when I worked in hospital administration, finance, and advertising. That is until the image consultant arrived. The ad agency, seeking to differentiate itself from every other, hired an image consultant. After watching us work, the consultant proclaimed us to be, "The California agency" and our new dress code was casual. No jeans, but also no ties. And that was really the last time I wore a tie for business.

Now that I work making museum exhibits, I'm pushing casual towards grubby. I have a huge collection of t-shirts from artists and museums, but it's a t-shirt none-the-less. I wear jeans or my Swedish workpants with more pockets than I can count and keep track of.

I love how The Sartorialist reports on what he considers to be fashionable. It's always individualistic and seemingly effortless.

2 comments:

Sean Hennessey said...

what kind of exhibits do you work on?

Richard Gould said...

I work for all the museums - NPG, many SITES exhibits, NASM, etc.