Friday, February 22, 2008

Collecting

I'm occasionally asked where I have found the work that we've collected. The majority of our collection isn't local and some of it is international. It takes a lot of research and persistence. We're mostly interested in the work of emerging artists. We have work from established graffiti artists in our collection, but they weren't that way when we acquired their work.

I keep an eye on a few graffiti blogs and am on some mailing lists. Tracking down artists can often be a challenge. Dealing with some galleries can be even more difficult sometimes - even just getting them to return an e-mail or phone call. Although I never buy art that's offered on e-bay, I even occasionally watch e-bay listings to see what work is generating interest and demand.

But we're not looking at collecting as an investment. Our credo it to buy what we like. After all, you have to live with it. But I make mistakes and all I can do is learn from them. A few years back I was offered the opportunity to buy a Banksy piece. Because of the frenzy that occurs when a piece of his becomes available, I had to act quickly. In fact, I didn't even have the opportunity to see the work. But I already had one Banky piece in my collection and was familiar with his work, and took the chance. I couldn't have been more unhappy when it arrived and it remains my most valuable yet never displayed piece. And it was the last Banksy piece I bought.


We look for work that interests us; that has something to say; that is original. I think anyone interested in collecting ought to do the same.

No comments: